Thursday, February 4, 2010

Sony Holland live @ Steamers, Feb 5

THIS FRI, FEB 5
8:30PM-1AM $8
SONY HOLLAND
Steamers Jazz Club and Cafe
138 W. Commonwealth Ave
Fullerton, CA 92832
714-871-8800
jazz@steamersjazz.com


Sony Holland is a warm, inviting performer whose unaffected style brims with the infectious joy of singing. She will be supported @ Steamers by a top-class quartet: Theo Saunders (piano), John B. Williams (bass), Tony Austin (drums) and Steve Cotter (guitar).

Born in a tiny town north of Minneapolis, Ms. Holland has toured Asia, performed in prestigious jazz festivals and in premier nightclubs such as the Blue Note, Yoshi's, Catalina's, the Dakota, the Rrazz Room and many more. Yet catching one of her live performances one gets a feeling that the best is yet to come.

She has recently relocated to Los Angeles. "In order to take it to the next level you have to work with the best musicians and producers and they are here in L.A." the singer explains. "My technique, style and repertoire are always evolving and that's the way it should be" she adds. "I hope to sing better next year than I do now."

Yet there is a common thread running through the critical praise she has received thus far.
"A stylish, gracious singer who spins magic with every note and phrase she sings" - Jack Neal,
Sacramento Bee.
"She caresses a song's lyrics and sings with warmth, impeccable phrasing and finesse" - Mac McDonald, Monterey Herald.
"Sony Holland delivers passion and elegance through every phrase...The voice is warm...full, and engaging" - Dr. Mike Metheny, Radio IO Jazz.

The lady demurs..."For me the highest tribute comes from people who are moved by my music. I understand. I've had very emotional reactions when I've seen artists like Nancy Wilson, Tony Bennett, etc. A great instrumentalist can wring so much out of a song as well. That's what I'm shooting for every chance I get."

No comments: